Peer Support Specialist
Promotes a recovery based approach to member care that emphasizes hope, respect, self-direction and empowerment by providing peer support, personal assistance, education on community resources, supportive services, advocacy and other support primarily in-home and/or in the community to aid in members’ recovery from mental illness and/or addiction disorders .
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Under direct supervision, provides supportive assistance to, and the modeling of self-advocacy with the member to help him/her research and access needed and desired community resources.
- Works cooperatively with others to assure the smooth and seamless delivery of comprehensive services to members.
- Assist members in choosing, obtaining and keeping wellness and healthy lifestyle related goals.
- Use a variety of methods, tailored to the individual, to move through the process of setting and reaching health and wellness related goals.
- Compile and share wellness and healthy lifestyle resources for members, staff and/or other stakeholders.
- Provide structure and support to promote personal progress and accountability.
- Assists in the development and coordination of activities, programs, and resources which directly support members or family members/caregivers of consumers in achieving wellness and recovery goals. For example: Assists consumers in obtaining benefits, i.e. SSI, AHCCCS/Medicare, Section 8, identification cards.
- Ensures safety of member’s living environment (personal safety, food supply, utilities and appliances working, adequacy of furnishings, and lack of fire hazards).
- Provides instruction in activities of daily living (nutrition, meal planning, shopping, and meal preparation; budgeting; home cleaning and organization; personal grooming and laundry).
- Communicates with clinical team regarding members’ level of independent functioning and current levels of support provided.
- Travels to members’ residences to provide peer support, personal assistance and other supportive in-home services.
- Transports members to and from appointments (agency vehicle), as appropriate.
- Relates own recovery process in a positive and supportive manner through coaching, role modeling and mentoring in order to assist members in developing skills to achieve their goals.
- Completes documentation for behavioral health record in accordance with agency and funding source requirements.
- Advocates for members, as needed, to ensure delivery of necessary services.
- Provides crisis intervention, as needed, and notifies Supervisor and treatment team.
- Meets with new members providing peer support and orientation to RHBA, CODAC and site(s).
- Answers members’ questions using Customer Service Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and CODAC policies and procedures as guides.
- Assists in the scheduling of follow-up appointments for members.
- Performs other related duties in accordance with agency growth and changes.
Skills / Requirements
Minimum Education and experience Required:
- Masters or Bachelor’s degree in a healthcare field and no related experience OR;
- Masters or Bachelor’s degree in a non-healthcare related field and 1 year relevant related experience OR;
- Associates’ degree in a healthcare field and 1 year related experience OR
- Associate’s degree in a non-healthcare field and 2 years related experience OR;
- High School diploma or General Education Equivalent (GED and 4 years related experience.
- High School/GED and 4 years work experience providing direct care in healthcare OR;
- Certified Peer Support and 2 years work experience providing direct care in healthcare
- Graduate from the Recovery Support Institute
- Valid Arizona Driver’s license, proof of current insurance and willingness to use personal vehicle.
- Driver’s license is an essential requirement for performing duties for this position.
- Clean Motor Vehicle Record - no more than 2 moving violations or a license suspension in past 3 years.
- 1st Aid, CPR and Fingerprint Clearance may be required.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred.
- Familiarity with people and practices within various ethnic and cultural groups.
- Knowledge of community resources.
- Ability to evaluate facts or situations to determine appropriate action.
- Familiarity with various diverse ethnic and cultural groups.